Much of the #WPN focus this weekend understandably revolved around the Kay Yow Spring Game and the baseball team's meteoric rise to the top of the Atlantic Division standings. The Pack's run comes just in time for their showdown with rival North Carolina, which leads the Coastal Division and is ranked #1 in the nation. A pair of rival teams riding long winning streaks (provided there is no let down in their respective midweek games), both in first place in their divisions, with all kinds of regional/super regional hosting rights at stake for the Pack? Yes please.
At any rate, there was a lot of other interesting stuff going on, so here are some bullets in case you missed it:
- The Pack ladies know their way around the diamond as well. They swept Virginia in Charlottesville this weekend to improve to 12-2 in their last 14 games and vault to a tie for third in the ACC. We documented Saturday's double header here, but neglected to mention Emily Weiman's three-hitter Sunday to complete the sweep. The link is worth clicking for the post-game interview with the ice-clad Weiman. You would want ice too if you just pitched 20 innings in two days.
- Weiman's home town newspaper ran an excellent feature on the sophomore righty in Monday's edition.
- The Pack softball ladies are not the only ladies who know how to swing the stick. The women's golf team had its best conference finish in program history, finishing second Sunday in the ACC tournament. Brittany Marchand led the way with a sixth-place result, and the entire team finished inside the top 25.
- The women's golf team is ranked 21st in the current Women's Golf Coaches Association poll.
- In men's golf, Albin Choi won his ninth collegiate tournament with a birdie at the last to edge Duke's Brinson Paolini.
- The women's track and field team had its best finish in over 25 years at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships, placing third.
- The men's tennis team will be the fourth seed for this week's ACC tournament. That's not too shabby considering there are four ACC programs ranked in the top 25 (though the Pack are not one of them).
- A bit more on the sweep in the ATL: It was the Pack's first sweep of the Yellow Jackets since 1992 and their first sweep in Atlanta, period. Tarran Senay garnered ACC player of the week honors after hitting .411 with 9 RBI, including six in Friday's game against the Jackets.
- That much-anticipated UNC-N.C. State series at the Doak this weekend: hope you got your tickets. It's sold out.
- If you think the Pack spring game was lacking for offense, be glad you're not a Wake Forest fan. Wake beat Wake 3-0 in its spring game. But really, there were no winners.
- Boston College almost got off the schneid, taking Wake Forest to extras Sunday before falling in the bottom of the 11th. The Deacs scored the winning run from second base on a ball that never left the infield. The Eagles are 0-20 in ACC play.
- Finally, some dude who goes by the handle of Akula Wolf trolled N. C. State's latest football commitment, but that will ultimately just spur the young man to greatness.