(This post has been updated to add transfer Maggie Hawkins. Hawkins moves from Hofstra to State and is eligible immediately.)
Two of the signees are from California, one from Washington and one from North Carolina.
Meredith Burroughs along with Dallas Heaton and Sarah Mooney holds the record for most home runs hit in a season, 19, for NCHSAA Fast Pitch Softball. In addition, Burrouhgs was a Max Preps All-American in 2012 when she hit those 19 homers. Burroughs during her sophomore, junior and senior years on the varsity of C.B. Aycock High School hit 0.541 with 35 home runs.
Hopefully, Burroughs can join Renada Davis as bash sisters; however, hitting home runs in high school is no indicator of the ability to hit home runs in college. State senior Leah Jones hit 18 home runs for Cape Fear in 2010 (24 during her prep career), but only hit a total of 14 during her State career (7 in 2014). On the other hand Renada Davis who has hit 50 home runs during her three years at State only hit 10 home runs her senior year. Davis hit 26 home runs in 2013 and 19 in 2014.
Now Meet State's 2014 class.
NC State softball head coach Shawn Rychcik has announced the addition of four student-athletes to compete for the Wolfpack beginning in the fall of 2014. Meredith Burroughs, Alyssa Compton, Harli Hubbard and Macauley Prickett have all signed National Letters of Intent (NLI) to attend NC State.
"My staff and I worked very hard in a very short time to find these athletes that would make our program better," said Rychcik. "All four were recruited by the entire staff and committed to the vision we have here at State. In this class we added speed, power, pitching and versatility."
|NC State 2014-15 Signing Class|
|Name||Pos.||Hometown||High School||Travel Team|
|Meredith Burroughs||1B||Pikeville, N.C.||C. B. Aycock||NC Lady Lightning Gold, Wayne County Hurricanes|
|Alyssa Compton||INF/OF||Irvine, Calif.||Northwood||Explosion 18U|
|Harli Hubbard||P||Camas, Wash.||Camas||Washington Ladyhawks|
|Macauley Prickett||OF||Petaluma, Calif.||Terra Linda||KG Hitters|
1B | Pikeville, N.C. (C.B. Aycock HS)
Bats: Left | Throws: Right
Travel Ball Team: NC Lady Lightning Gold, Wayne County Hurricanes
- Selected to the North Carolina All-State Team as a junior, sophomore and freshman.
- Also garnered all-conference and all-area honors all three years in high school.
- Led her team to a 29-2 record in 2012, en route to winning the NC 3A State Championship.
- She was named the MVP of the championship game after hitting a two-run homer in the first inning and later smashing a three-run blast in the third inning.
- Named a first-team All-American by Max Preps as a sophomore in 2012.
- Owns the NC state record for most homeruns in a single season with 19. (This is incorrect as two others are tied with Burroughs-noted above.)
- Claimed ESPN Player of the Week honors and ECC Conference Player of the Year accolades.
Why she chose NC State – "I’ve always wanted to attend NCSU. It has always been my dream school. I personally feel that NC State provides one of the best educations in the country."
Rychcik on Burroughs - "When I took over the program here at State, our goal was to get the best talent in North Carolina to come here. We feel that Meredith is the best power hitter in the state and one of the better power hitters in the country. Her left-handed bat in the middle of the order should give us an immediate RBI producer and make our lineup stronger and deeper."
INF/OF | Irvine, Calif. (Northwood HS)
Bats: Right | Throws: Right
Travel Ball Team: Explosion 18U
- Named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of her high school team in 2013 as a junior.
- Also claimed Northwood softball’s Offensive Player of the Year honor.
- Collected first-team All-Pacific Coast League honors after her junior season.
- Selected as one of the team captains prior to the 2013 season.
- Garnered Defensive Player of the Year honors as a sophomore.
- Chosen to represent her high school as a member of the Irvine All-City Team in 2012 as well as the CO Sparkler All-Star Team.
- Tabbed the outstanding varsity newcomer as a freshman.
- Voted as one of the top 15 Orange County varsity softball players in 2011.
Why she chose NC State – "I chose to play at NC State because I immediately fell in love with the school when I stepped foot on campus. It’s such a well-rounded school with a beautiful campus and an awesome athletic and academic program. This all added to my decision, but the thing I was most happy about was how I was given the opportunity to play for three great coaches! It felt like home."
Rychcik on Compton - "Alyssa will be our most versatile addition. We’ve seen her play SS, 2B, 3B, and OF. Her ability to play multiple positions will give her a great opportunity to work herself into the lineup. She has a good shortstop glove and a strong outfield arm to go along with a very productive bat."
P | Camas, Wash. (Camas HS)
Bats: Right | Throws: Right
Travel Ball Team: Washington Ladyhawks
- Posted a 1.52 earned run average (ERA) during her junior season to lead Camas High School to the state championship game in 2013.
- Selected to the all-region team after her junior season.
- Tabbed Camas’ Defensive Player of the Year in 2013 after recording 172 strikeouts.
- Helped her high school team to a sixth-place finish in the 2012 high school playoffs
- Also chosen as a Designated Player first-team selection as a freshman in 2011.
- Claimed all-league pitcher honors all three years in high school.
- Has been the varsity softball team’s starting pitcher since her freshman season.
- Guided her travel ball team to Valley Invite Championship in 2013 and a ninth place finish at the Triple Crown Nationals.
Why she chose NC State - "I chose NC State because I’ve wanted to go to a southern school since I was young. The campus is gorgeous, people are super friendly, the coaching staff is amazing, and on my unofficial visit my future teammates were very welcoming. It felt very comfortable and inviting. I know that I will receive a very high quality education from NC State and I can’t wait to get started."
Rychcik on Hubbard - "Harli will be a great addition to our pitching staff. She’s a power pitcher who has tremendous velocity and a nice assortment of pitches. Once she gets on campus, we feel that we can take her skill set and make her into one of the best pitchers in the ACC."
OF | Petaluma, Calif. (Terra Linda HS)
Bats: Left | Throws: Right
Travel Ball Team: KG Hitters
- Named the Most Valuable Player of her high school team.
- Garnered first-team all-league honors after her junior season in 2013.
- Speedy outfielder who recorded the most stolen bases in the league in each of her three seasons in high school.
- Selected as the team captain as a junior and will also hold the position during her senior season in 2014.
- Tabbed the league’s Rookie of the Year during her freshman year in 2011.
- Chosen as a member of the varsity team as a freshman.
Why she chose NC State - "I chose NC State because I fell in love with the campus and everything about it as soon as I walked onto it. The coaches are great, the players are great, and I could see myself excelling in the environment around me."
Rychcik on Prickett - "Macauley will add an element that we have been needing here at State: speed. She’s a great leadoff type hitter who will put tremendous pressure on defenses. We’re also getting an outfielder that can go gap-to-gap to run down balls and take away hits."