Pittsburgh jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning, and that was their lone highlight of the day. The Wolfpack pitchers held the Panthers scoreless from that point on while the NC State hitters pounded the Panthers pitchers, scoring 21 runs on 24 hits - including putting up eight runs in the 4th inning and seven runs in the 8th inning.
The 21 runs are the most for NC State in an ACC game since the 2010 season, when they pounded out 22 runs in a 22-6 defeat of Cancer.
In order to finish this article sometime before tomorrow’s game starts at 1:00pm, I’m not going to go through every single score (feel free to go play-by-play here, if you’re so inclined), instead I’ll just hit some overall highlights in bullet form:
- NC State had 16 different hitters register at least one plate appearance on the day, and 15 of them registered hits
- Six Wolfpack hitters registered multiple hits on the day, and two of them didn’t even start the game
- Six Wolfpack hitters registered multiple runs on the day, and two of them didn’t even start the game
- Six Wolfpack hitters registered multiple RBIs on the day, and three of them didn’t even start the game
- FR C Luca Tresh and RS-FR OF Thayer Thomas launched pinch-hit, back-to-back home runs in the 7th inning, the first home runs of each of their NC State careers
- JR RHP Andrew Blake pitched 4.1 scoreless innings (1 H, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 5 K) of relief to earn his first career win
Let’s look at some of the individual offensive numbers, because they’re absurd:
- JR LF Jonny Butler: 3-for-4, 2 R, 1 SB
- SO C Patrick Bailey: 3-for-3, 2 2B, 3B, BB, 3 R, 2 RBI
- FR C Luca Tresh: 2-for-2, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI
- RS-FR OF Thayer Thomas: 2-for-2, 2B, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI
- SO 2B J.T. Jarrett: 3-for-4, BB, 2 R, RBI
- SO RF Terrell Tatum: 2-for-3, R, RBI
With the series in hand, NC State will go for the sweep of Pittsburgh on Sunday, with the first pitch (assuming they don’t move it up for the third day in row) scheduled for 1:00pm. Pitchers on both sides are yet to be announced.