That was, uh, not expected.
NC State used a 10-run first inning to blow past Coastal Carolina on Wednesday afternoon, blowing out the Chanticleers by a final score of 24-7. The game was called after seven innings due to an agreed-upon mercy rule by the coaches of both teams.
Also, kudos to the NC State Baseball Twitter account for this piece of gold right here:
We got your 24-piece tailgate special right here. pic.twitter.com/8RYyf1WSPj— #Pack9 ⚾️ (@NCStateBaseball) March 5, 2020
Just go look at the box score on GoPack.com because, if I’m being honest, I’d like to not stay up all night trying to recap every single run scored by the Pack in this one.
A few notes, though:
- FR RHP Austin Pace got the start on the mound, the first of his career, and was outstanding going three perfect frames and earning the win.
- NC State hitters pounded out 9 doubles and 3 home runs on the day, including a grand slam by Patrick Bailey, his third grand slam of the season.
- Devonte Brown and Austin Murr had the other home runs.
- NC State’s 10-run home half of the first inning took something stupid like 35 minutes to play. It was amazing.
- J.T. Jarrett and Luca Tresh each had four hits on the day, with Jarrett notching three doubles and Tresh two.
- Murr, Bailey, and Jarrett each had four RBI in the game.
- The win keeps NC State as one of the last four unbeaten teams in the country (Florida, Alabama, Tennessee).
- By the 4th inning, both teams had pretty much emptied benches.
- This was an absolutely slaughter.
Here are a couple highlights:
NC State hits the road this weekend to kick off conference play. The series opener against Virginia is on Friday afternoon at 4:00pm.