1) BC’s going to secretly be a damn good team this season, right? What excites you most about the potential that’s there?
I think BC definitely has the potential to be a sneaky really good team this year, and possibly finish Top 2 in the ACC Atlantic. What excites me the most about the team is the power on offense. First off, Steve Addazio’s team is built on two things: power running and the offensive line. What is this team’s strength? The running of AJ Dillon who is going to win the Doak Walker Award, and 7 returning offensive linemen with significant starting experience. Add on to that Tommy Sweeney, who could be a Top 5 tight end in the country and that offense could be really good. On the defensive side of the ball, Zach Allen continues to grow as a player, and could be a name every ACC team knows by the end of the year, while Lukas Denis and Will Harris the safeties, could be the best pair in the country. Now, many may accuse me of being a homer, but the numbers don’t lie!
2) Do you have any concerns heading into the season, and if so what are they?
The depth of the defensive line, especially up the middle. One thing that killed the Eagles in 2017 was the interior running game. Wake Forest, Louisville and Notre Dame killed the Eagles up the gut, and BC lost one of their starters at the defensive tackle position. I think this may be a problem against teams that can establish the run as it will make BC gassed if they can’t get off the field.
3) What was your favorite moment from last season?
This is tough, but beating Louisville on the road has to be the #1 for me. Watching AJ Dillon launch around defenders like rag dogs was a lot of fun. Kicking the snot out of FSU at home is a close second.
4) Steve Addazio had one of the best Vine accounts of all time (RIP Vine). Which one of those Vines was your favorite?
A whole lotta dudes!
5) What stadium in the Atlantic division do you think is the toughest to play in for BC?
Oh god, Death Valley at Clemson. I think the last time the Eagles won down there Matt Ryan was the quarterback and Clemson was a shell of what they would become. Eagles have definitely made it a game at points, but winning there is just really difficult.
6) When in Boston, what’s your favorite spot to grab a beer?
Trillium Garden on the Greenway. Trillium makes the best beer in the state, and it doesn’t beat having a nice IPA outside in the city.
7) Will you be making the trek down to Raleigh for the game?
Unfortunately no, life is changing for the Black home. There is going to be a new addition to the Eagle nation as my wife and I are expecting our first child in September. But you can be sure that my little one will be watching the game at home with Mom and Dad!
8) Stealing your thunder a bit here, but pick a GIF to describe your upcoming season.
Piggie backing on my favorite moment from last year, comes my favorite play from last year and one I hope to see repeated ad nauseam this season:
Many thanks to AJ for taking the time to answer our questions. You can see my answers to his questions over on BC Interruption!